Not all self-build kits are made equal! Our kits are Habitation Check compliant for safety, durability, and total peace of mind. (what this means)
Solar charging is one of our most popular upgrades as everyone loves free leisure power!
These kits are combinations of good quality panels and controllers which you can choose from to build your own system. If you have specific requirements please get in touch, we can design a bespoke solar charging system to suit you.
Choosing the right charging capacity
As a rule of thumb, there are two factors which need to be considered when deciding on the solar panel size you require:
- Your average daily power consumption (very important)
- Capacity of your batteries (less important)
There’s an in-depth overview on Photonic Universe’s site here:
Solar panel types explained
- Rigid framed solar panels have a thick (around 35mm) aluminium frame and are mounted on plastic corner blocks (included with all of our rigid frame panels)
- Semi-flexible solar panels are thin (around 2-4mm) and can flex a little to follow the shape of a roof. They're mounted with a suitable adhesive (not included as the type will vary based on the surface - please contact us for advice)
Solar charge controller explained
- PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is the older of the two charging technologies. It increases charge acceptance and prolongs the life of your battery and often PWM technology can recover some lost battery capacity.
Accessories you may need
- Solar Extension Cables - the cables that run from the solar panel to the charge controller are a specific type and they terminate in MC4 connectors. If you plan to install your charge controller more than a metre away from the end of your panel you’ll need extension cables with MC4 connectors on them.
- 70amp Battery Cables - the cable that runs between the solar controller and the battery(s) should be 70amp battery cable with a ring connector crimped on the end.
You'll find these in our Leisure Electrics > Solar Charging section.
These kits are made to order so please allow 2-3 days for delivery. Since COVID, this has sometimes taken longer due to issues with couriers.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.